I have been told I am a planner, design & decorate great parties, and have fun ideas for things to do. If you want some alone time with your man or gal pal(s), I have put together a running list of budget-friendly activities, coming from my own personal experiences and/or future outings for Date Night or GNO aka Girls Night Out. (Interchangeable with Day/In). Going out doesn’t have to evolve around bar hopping or running up the street to that same ol’ chain restaurant!
Please keep in mind I live in the Austin, Texas, area. Be sure to check your hometown for similar events/places referenced in this list. Here it is:
- “High Tea” at a nice hotel like the Four Seasons. Gotta dress fancy and remember, pinky out!
- Drive-In Movie Theater.
- Take a day trip to an unexplored city. One of my fave shows is The Daytripper. Me and the hubby get great ideas from it. Thanks, Chet!
- Take a bird watching class. Gotta get up early, but it’s so peaceful and fun to see birds you never knew were in your area. I found mine through a local rec center.
- Take a free yoga class. That’s right, FREE. Most yoga studios give newbies a free first class.
- Go to a winery for a wine tasting. I love pulling up a chair at a small winery. You can try several glasses of wine for a great price and talk to the owners.
- Go to a wine bar and buy a wine flight. Same as above, but you get several different glasses of the same style of wine with an information card describing each one. Educational and fun!
- Antique shop in a little town square and grab lunch at a tea room.
- Take the dogs to the park on a sunny day.
- Visit the Austin Flea or other local arts n’ craft shows.
- Visit a science or art museum.
- Take a Sunday drive, literally.
- Try a new cuisine/type of food. Come on, give sushi a try!
- Host a “Craft Night”. Wine optional. You might have some “Nailed it” memes after this though.
- Organize a book club.
- Organize a supper club.
- Host a “Game Night”.
- Host a “Small Plates Party” as I like to call it. I think the more formal name is Tapas.
- Alamo Drafthouse Singalong.
- Rent a pontoon boat out at the lake in the summer time. You can go in together on it with other couples to make it more affordable.
- Take a brisk walk at the park or on a trail, then go for smoothies.
- Camp or rent a cabin on the river or lake. Same as above with the pontoon boat.
- Meet up with a buddy at the gym.
- Have a slumber party with your girlfriends.
- Visit a mom n’ pop bookstore. Enjoy the ambiance, local feel, and the books of course!
- Host a “My Favorite Things Party“.
- Host some sort of a “Swap” party. It can be with clothes, craft supplies, recipes, etc.
- Join a Co-Op Community Garden.
- Host an “Ice Cream Social”. It’s on my to-do list for sure!
- Go to a small sports event. There’s college games, minor league baseball & hockey, roller derby…
- Take an art class. You can take one from an art school or even try out “Painting with a Twist“.
- Work out to an exercise video in your living room. With your significant other or friend. Makes for a good laugh.
- Go on a “Photo Tour”. Hop in the car, grab your camera or use your Instagram app on your smartphone, and drive around taking interesting pictures of your adventure. There are also guided-sightseeing-walking photo tours you can sign up for as well.
- Visit a state park and go for a hike.
- Visit a historical site. You can also go on a historical marker drive.
- “Treat Yo’ Self”. ‘Parks and Rec’ fans will recognize this reference. Get a facial, wrap, blow-out, pedi, or massage.
- Go to a water park. If you’re in my neck of the woods, try Schlitterbahn. Also, go with another couple. Way more fun!
- Ride your bicycles through a college campus.
- Attend a music festival. But, go during the week, and catch a free day show.
- Host a “Cocktail Party”. Not the one where you don a fancy dinner gown. Have your gal pals over to try out new cocktail recipes and catch up with one another.
Hope this gave you some insight on a shiny new social life. Being a social butterfly and enjoying quality time with my husband, I am always looking for something new to do around town. Also, all the fun things you pin on your Pinterest board and want to do eventually, be sure to take action!
Joie de vivre – Texas Style,
P.S. My apologies to the mommies out there looking for kid-specific events. I’m just a married gal with furry children.